Mass Effect series

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mass Effect series

Post  mrcrowley24 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:51 am

The go with this series is that 2 games have already been released, both to critical acclaim. The first one was published by Microsoft and won't be coming to the PS3. The second one however, was published by EA and will be coming to the PS3 on 20.01.11. The PS3 version will include an interactive comic that will re-hash the first game. While this isn't optimal, previews have said that it is sufficient. The PS3 game will also come with all the DLC released on the 360.

So, is anyone getting it?

I am not an RPG person, but I have been meaning to give them a go as they always have a good rap about themselves. I think if any RPG will get me involved it will be the ME series as its a sci-fi setting and is a part FPS based RPG.

The demo is out now on the store and I am downloading it. Anyone else?
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Kudos : 19

Back to top Go down

Re: Mass Effect series

Post  wottagunn on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:50 am

yeah downloading it right now mate. Heard great things about the franchise.

wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Kudos : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  capnwpac on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 am

I like action in my RPGs. These are great games but from playing most of the first and a bit of the second I've had my fill. They are quite limited in terms of character development.
The other problem I have is the CONSTANT decisions that you have to make. You are always getting presented with options when and form of discussion takes place, which kinda bores me after a bit and I stop reading them and just pick whatever.

They looks amazing though and combat can be very fun.

I won't be getting them on ps3 though.

capnwpac
Commander
Commander

Kudos : 62

http://talentless.getgoo.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasman40 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:36 pm

I will be getting this. Was going to download the demo but we've nearly hit our quota so im going to wait till a few days before we restart to get it.
But from what i've heard these games are magnificent so im really looking forward to try them out.
Gasman40
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Kudos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Brad on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Man, some of you youngers guys need to upgrade your net.
The price difference between 25gb and 500gb is now miniscule.

Major

Kudos : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasman40 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:18 am

we're on 50gb. Just went a bit download happy when holidays started.
Gasman40
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Brad on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:30 am

Be careful mate, too much of that will send you blind.

Major

Kudos : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  capnwpac on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:22 am

It's true. That why I have glasses.

capnwpac
Commander
Commander

Kudos : 62

http://talentless.getgoo.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasman40 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:28 am

hah i'll keep it in mind. Anyway, whats the demo like?
Gasman40
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  wottagunn on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:22 am

demo is rubbish.
I "played" for about 15 minutes and then quit it. The whole thing was a cinematic (I had no idea what was happening too) and the times I actually got to control the game, all I did was answer some questions.
The demo may get better, but if it hasn't lured me in after 15 mins then it is shithouse.

wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasman40 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:50 am

Downloaded the demo the other day. I can see what you mean by having to endure a lot of basic gameplay at the beginning of the demo but it does get better as you go on.
This game i think will be annoying in the sense that you can never have a cut scene without having to make some kind of decision during the conversation. But this is a minor thing. I found it pretty enjoyable.
Looking forward to the game.
Gasman40
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  wottagunn on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I will not be getting the game simply because of all the decisions you have to make. I hate that sort of stuff.

wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm

wottagunn wrote:I will not be getting the game simply because of all the decisions you have to make. I hate that sort of stuff.

Fair enough mate, I understand. I am going to get it though. Simply because I want to try an RPG and ME2 got game of the year for 2010 on a lot of sites.
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  fuchswagen on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 pm

This game is very good. Reminds allot of that star wars rpg a few years back on pc. I think it was called knights of the old republic 2.
You guys should definitely check this one out.
fuchswagen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Kudos : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  wottagunn on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:14 pm

A mate of mine is buying it, so ill just borrow his copy when he is done with yet.

wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Yes I am definitely getting it. Probably take me ages to finish it,but as long as I finish it before the 3rd one comes out at the end of the year than I will be happy.
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  fuchswagen on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:13 am

Just a quick update - I finally finished this game 100% on normal and it took me 41 hrs (including every cut scene and dialogue). I will now try insanity mode. I give this game a 9/10 and I will definitely get mass effect 3 when its released.
Pro tip -if u get this game make sure you look on different playstation stores as some of the stores will charge you for certain armor suites and others wont. Like I did not have to pay for dragon armor in the HK store but they charge for it on the US store but have another type of armor there for free.
fuchswagen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Kudos : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasman40 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Bought this game yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. Its really polished, the combat is smooth, there is plenty to explore but i do find the missions rather repetitive. Most of the time you're traveling to a planet, talk to a person then start on your mission. In most missions you'll take cover, shoot the guys then move forward till you encounter another wave of enemies and do the same thing over and over till you reach your objective. Its not a bad thing but i think a bit more variety in the enemies or what you have to do in the mission wouldn't have hurt (also ever time you talk to someone you have to make decisions)
That aside there's plenty to search for on each mission (credits, different minerals, weapons etc) and aslo weapon upgrades. When traveling into different galaxies you can scan different planets for their minerals which is quite an addictive mini-game but will lose its edge after a while. Some planets also have missions to do which pop up when you scan them.
This game has plenty to offer if you're looking for a game to keep you occupied for good amount of time. Also for trophy whores it seems like a pretty easy platinum.
Overall its a great game and worth a buy if you're into sci-fi with a pretty decent story. Smile
Gasman40
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  wottagunn on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:20 am

My mate let me borrow this for a bit. I'm currently 25 hours in to my first run. Playing on Insanity.

The game is fantastic, but I don't really know why. I very much enjoy it though.
The combat is dated (granted, it's an old game) and quite clunky, and the constant conversation choices can be annoying. For some reason though, the dialogue is very satisfying as is the combat. The story and character progression is top shelf.
There's plenty of shit to do too.

I have a few complaints about Insanity though. The enemies are far too unbalanced. You'll blitz through 90% of the enemies with little trouble, but as soon as you run into a mech or another strong enemy you will struggle. You'll end up cheating the AI and the cover system, by shooting the enemy when they cannot shoot you.

wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 on Wed May 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Mass Effect 3 was supposed to come out at the end of this year and it now it has been delayed until the first 3 months of 2012. Can't say I am surprised considering how short the development time was from ME2(Jan. 2010) and how big these types of games are.

While any game delay is annoying (I'm looking at you GT5), I don't mind too much as I haven't even started ME2 (and it will take me ages to finish it) and in the last few months of 2011 there are heaps of games coming out (U3, R3, B:AA etc).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300161/news/mass-effect-3-delayed-into-2012/
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:31 pm

So I am about 20 hours into this game. Fantastic! Really enjoying it.

The visuals are still decent for a 2 years old game, there are plenty of missions and side-missions as well as character and weapon progression.

At the moment I have recruited all but one of my team and I am going through their missions to gain their loyatly before I focus on the main conquest. Does anyone remember the 2 characters you bought with you on the missions for back-up? I l take grunt (the krogan) out a lot with me as hes pretty powerful and packs a punch, but I switch it around with whom I else take with me.

Anyways, I am really interested in the storyline even though I havent played the first game (and didnt play the comic intro thing) and I am very much looking forward to Mass Effect 3!
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  wottagunn on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:37 pm

I used to take out Thane and Legion with me, I think.

Brilliant game.

wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Finished the main quest. Took me about 25 hours. I think I will continue on and do a few more of the side quests.

Once again, great game! Bring on Mass Effect 3!
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Apparently Mass Effect 3 has 3 modes:

Mass Effect 3 will have three pre-set campaign modes: Action Mode, Story Mode, and RPG Mode.[24] In Action Mode, conversations will have automatic replies and a normal combat difficulty. In Story Mode, conversations will have manual replies and a minimal combat difficulty. In RPG Mode, conversations will have manual replies and a normal combat difficulty. This last mode is reflective of the typical Mass Effect series experience.

What mode are you going to do? I liked Mass Effect 2's gameplay and I think RPG mode is similar and therefore will go for that one.
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  wottagunn on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 pm

RPG mode sounds best.

wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant